“I loved my time at Hertfordshire, I honestly don’t think I’d be playing professional Netball now if it wasn’t for the support I received whilst being involved in the University of Hertfordshire’s scholarship programme. It not only allowed me to pursue my academic career, but it also pushed me in my sports one too and captaining the team to become the first University of Hertfordshire performance team to win back-to-back national titles whilst there wasn’t too bad either!”
Professional Netballer - Strathclyde Sirens.
The University of Hertfordshire Performance Sport Programme has an excellent Sport Scholarship Scheme which provides an extensive range of support services to our elite and talented athletes studying at the University.
All applications to the Sports Scholarship Scheme are considered on an individual basis and will vary between athletes and sports. Priority will be given to our current BUCS Performance Sports – Women’s Football, Men’s & Women’s Futsal, Men’s Basketball, Netball and American Football. Athletes from other team and/or individual sports will be considered on a case-by-case basis but should be representing their sport at a national age group level or above (or an equivalent level where player pathways may differ from sport to sport).
There are a range of benefits available for student-athletes who may receive some or all the following support services:
- gym membership at The Sport Village and The Oval campus gyms
- strength and conditioning from industry leading coaches at Performance Herts
- athlete education workshops covering topics such as nutrition, sport psychology, anti-doping, etc.
- BUCS competition expenses
- University of Hertfordshire branded teamwear.
- academic flexibility for dual-career athletes (around national training camps and competition)
- lifestyle support from a TALS qualified practitioner to help with an athlete’s development and ability to balance sport alongside degree studies.
- financial Sport Scholarship Award (these payments contribute towards training, competition and living costs).
Following confirmation of a successful sports scholarship award, the Performance Sport and Scholarships Manager will create a sports scholarship agreement with the student-athlete which details exactly the services and support available.
Please note the award of a sports scholarship, does not automatically guarantee access to all the services listed.
To apply contact Michael Darlow, Performance Sport and Scholarships Manager.